The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Initial release||v0.2.1emc / 16 April 2014|
|Latest release||v0.6.3.1emc / 18 September 2017|
|Operating System||Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, IOS|
|Source model||Open source|
|License||GNU General Public License|
|Block time||11.7 minutes|
|Circulating supply||41,496,016 EMC (18 March 2018)|
|Market cap||$126,082,739 USD (18 March 2018)|
Emercoin (Symbol: EMC) is a cryptocurrency that is in some ways similar to Namecoin and Peercoin. It was launched in December 2013 and announced three days before launch in order to notify miners in advance.
Emercoin is blockchain platform for wide range of distributed trusted services. Distinctive features - high reliability, robustness and 3-in-one hybrid mining (PoW+MergedMining+PoS). Currently, Emercoin platform already runs network security services EmerSSL/EmerSSH, decentralized domain system EmerDNS, counterfit solution EmerDPO, VOIP solution ENUMER and bundle of other services.
Features[edit | edit source]
Developers propose Emercoin as a foundation for multiple possible services, rather than simply a currency:
Oleg Khovayko, Emercoin Lead Developer, said, "Key difference in Emercoin from other cryptocurrencies is that we are using blockchain not just for transfer credit values. We consider Emercoin as a technological platform for distributed, censorship–proof and scalable services. So we developed a suite of services running on top of the Emercoin blockchain that will be very useful for a lot of companies and even private persons." 
- EMCDNS — Decentralized, uncensored domain name system, peering with OpenNIC (currently supporting the .bazar, .coin, .emc and .lib TLDs)
- Infrastructure for SSL certificates (EMCSSL) — The blockchain is used as a decentralized trust store of hash sums for client SSL-certificates
- Public Key Infrastructure (EMCSSH) — bridge between OpenSSH and the EMC blockchain, allowing for secure, decentralized management of PKI
- InfoCard — Storage for electronic business cards for use with EMCSSL
- EMCTTS — Trusted storage for digital timestamps on the blockchain
- EMCSTREAM — Micropayment library for streaming media
- Magnet — Distributed BitTorrent tracker for internet file sharing
- EmerBoard — Distributed trusted BBS
- EMCDPO — A decentralized solution for Proof of Ownership
- Advertising Link Exchanger on Emercoin (EMCLNX) — a peer-to-peer text-advertisement network based on a per-click payment model. Uses NVS as distributed storage for advertising contracts and EmerCoin credits (EMc) as the payment unit
Usage[edit | edit source]
- EMCDNS is supported on several Tor exit nodes.
- OpenNIC DNS servers resolve Emercoin domains.
- EMCSSL is implemented in the Drupal content management system.
- EMCSSH is deploied in the Hashcoins company
- The farmer Mikhail Shlyapnikov uses Emercoin blockchain in the own business.
- January 20, 2017: The plugin "Frigate" for the browsers now support EMCDNS zones.
- March 15, 2018: Coca-Cola Co (KO.N) and the U.S. State Department along with two other companies said on Friday they are launching a project using blockchain’s digital ledger technology to create a secure registry for workers that will help fight the use of forced labor worldwide.
History[edit | edit source]
- December 11, 2013: first public release
- February 11, 2014: Folding@Home sponsorship project is started
- November 4, 2014: Name-Value Storage (NVS) is added; EMSDNS is built on top of NVS
- December 10, 2014: subdomains in the EMCDNS are now allowed
- November 30, 2015: Emercoin is attaсked, creating a fork of the blockchain
- December 1, 2015: the vulnerability of PPCoin protocol is fixed
- January 1, 2016: potential vulnerability is fixed
- January 4, 2016: Emercoin partners with Microsoft for BaaS (Microsoft Azure "Blockchain as a Service")
- June 29, 2016: Emercoin and Microsoft Azure released the Emercoin Blockchain Engine in the Azure Marketplace.
- August 15, 2016: Emercoin wallet 0.5.0 is released. This is first blockchain wallet with PoS, based on the bitcoin core 0.10.2.
- September 28, 2016: United Nations Development Programme will use Emercoin in the vehicles fleet management.
- October 6, 2016: Emercoin wallet 0.5.1 (bugfix) is released.
- December 22, 2016: Emercoin wallet 0.5.2 is released. Based on the bitcoin core 0.10.4, the interface displays UTF-8 in the NVS fields, ENUM support.
- December 29, 2016: Emercoin wallet 0.5.2.1 (bugfix) is released.
- January 23, 2017 Emercoin placed on 9 position in the rating 2016 year of the cryptocurrencies in the Benchmark.pl, top of the Bitcoin (10 position).
- February 13, 2017: Emercoin cryptocurrency wallet 0.6.0 is released. Merged mining with the Bitcoin is implemented.
- August 29, 2017: Emercoin cryptocurrency wallet 0.6.3 is released. Transaction fee lowered by 100 times.
- November 26, 2017: Emercoin is placed on 139 position in the coinmarketcap-rating 2017
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Emercoin Blockchain". emercoin.mintr.org. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations: Emercoin - CoinMarketCap". coinmarketcap.com. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "First Bitcoin Capital Corp. Signs Evaluation Agreements with Emercoin International Development Group, To Develop and Market Solutions to Provide Distributed Blockchain Services For Business and Personal Use". Yahoo!. 2016-01-28. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- Emercoin: ‘Setting the New Standard for Top Blockchains’ — Bitcoin.com, January 13, 2016
- Alicia Naumoff. Strictly Confidential: Blockchain-based Solutions for Securing User Data — The Cointelegraph, Feb 03, 2017
- OpenNIC Wiki: PeerTLDs
- krylov. emcSSL — Drupal, July 8, 2015
- HashCoins CTO About Corporate Use of EmerCoin Services — ForkLog, Oct 27, 2016
- World’s First Village To Adopt Blockchain In Its Farming & Management
- Forklog.net: Farming Business in a Russian Village Transferred onto Blockchain
- FriGate Now Supports Emercoin Domain Zones — Forklog News, 20.01.2017
- Coca-Cola, U.S. State Dept to use blockchain to combat forced labor — Gertrude Chavez-Dreyfuss, Reuters, March 17, 2018.
- Azure Blockchain as a Service Update #3 — Microsoft Azure
- Jacob Timp Price of EmerCoin Doubles Following Its Partnership With Microsoft — CoinTelegraph, 2016-01-09
- Emercoin Blockchain Engine Becomes First Blockchain Solution Available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace — The Cointelegraph, 2016-07-01
- "United Nations Will Adopt Emercoin For Its Car Fleet Management Project". Cointelegraph. 28 September 2016.
- Nie tylko bitcoin - kryptowaluty w 2016 roku Template:Ref-pl
[edit | edit source]
- Official website
- Elliot Maras (2015-05-29). "So long-passwords? Cryptocurrency emercoin's block chain supports passwordless authentication". Cryptocoinsnews. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- Mike Ward (2015-04-23). "Change Is Coming: How the Blockchain Will Transform the Domain Name Business". The Cointelegraph. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- "How To Mine CryptoCurrency for Science: Distributed Computing Rewards". Cryptorials. 2015-02-22. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- Mike Ward (2014-10-31). "Decentralized Internet Update". LET'S TALK BITCOIN!. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- "Decentralizing Internet Plumbing: Episode 1 – Oleg Khovayko". Avra News. Archived from the original on 2015-09-28. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- "EmerCoin announces emcLNX". Bitcoin Garden. 2015-09-27. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "PeerName browser extension, supporting all EmerCoin-based domains". PeerName. 2017-06-07. Retrieved 2017-06-07.